Strauss composed his Oboe Concerto in what has been described by some as his ‘Indian Summer’, that creative period which began at about the time of his eightieth birthday, in 1944. The Symphonic Fantasty: AusItalien, meanwhile, was composed when the composer was just twenty-two; ChristophKönig opens the concert with its first movement, which Strauss himself called ‘a prelude’. The afternoon and the series closes with Dvo?ák’s rarely performed Fifth Symphony; it is full of folk-influenced melodies from his native Bohemia – and well worth discovering..
BBC SSO: Afternoon Performance 5 – Strauss’s Oboe Concerto
Thursday 13 March 2014, 2.00pm
Tickets: £8 unreserved seating; £10 on the day
- Online: a transaction charge of £1 applies to all online bookings.
- Phone: a transaction charge of £1.50 applies to all phone bookings.
- Counter/ In Person: there are no transaction charges for in person bookings.
- Tickets dispatched as standard mail incur a £1 postage fee. Tickets can only be posted to UK addresses.
- Tickets printed and made available for venue collection will incur a £1 handling fee.
- Tickets sent electronically as an E-Ticket will incur a 50p fee.